Used on the and on the during construction of the U. Transferred to Northern Navigation Co. . British Columbia, a sea voyage away from the East Coast, had insisted upon a land transport link to the East as a condition for joining Confederation. Remains are on display at , Fairbanks, Alaska. Canada 107836 1901 Whitehorse, Yukon W. Richardson Railroad Library, Colorado Railroad Museum, Golden, Colorado.
Reed 326 126 feet Owned by the Columbia Navigation Co. Yukon River and Boats, 1900-1954 Name Year Built Where Built Builder Volume gross tons Hull Length Remarks Admiral Claude B. Equipment, freight and passengers are ferried by ship through the Port of Skagway, the railroad began construction in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush as a means of reaching the goldfields. The end of river traffic meant the end of a way of life for hundreds of people. It was originally thought that there wasn't enough copper to justify the expense, but more copper turned up than expected, and the steel bridge would have been the cheaper structure in the long run.
Sold to the Alaska Meat Co. Converted to a barge in 1902. Retired at the end of 1917. Nixon and William Mogridge in 1900. A man on snowshoes would lead a soft-shod horse over the light snow to pack it down.
Not used under White Pass ownership. Not used under White Pass ownership. At Dall River, Alaska during winter of 1898-1899. A Cheechako Goes to the Klondike. White Pass — Boats 5 vessels Name Registry Year Built Where Built Builder Volume gross tons Hull Length Remarks C. Hull owned by George S.
Last used as a powered vessel in 1903. Foundered after striking an object at Tolovana, Alaska in 1909. Transferred to Canadian Government in 1960. Today Fairbanks is the second-largest city in the state of Alaska. Sproul, George Coleman, and Bert Smith 193 97 feet Originally owned by Sproul.
Sold to Alaska Riverways, Inc. The Klondike is now the center piece of a museum. Demolished by fire at Winter Quarters in 1906. Barrington died, and Willie Irving sold to Charles F. When Dawson was incorporated as a city in 1902, the population was under 5,000, st.
Not used under White Pass ownership. The big problem was safety for the ship and its passengers. Sold to Anderson Towboat Co. If restored, it would be one of only two former White Pass vessels in operation. Not to be confused with a gasoline powered launch of the same name owned by the White Pass at the same time. But not only for that one.
Stranded at Andreafsky, Alaska later in 1905. Transferred to Northern Navigation Co. Transferred to Northern Navigation Co. This may be the A. Sold to Northern Navigation Co. Machinery recovered from river in 1997. Purchased by Alaskan Engineering Commission in 1915.